Re: Carbon removing CO2?

In a message dated 8/27/2000 00:52:13 Pacific Daylight Time,

> >liter.  Millenium filters only use cartridges containing carbon and I'm
>  >wondering, is it possible that the carbon is actually stripping the CO2
>  >from the water?

Unlikely.  CO2 is a dissolved gas, not a large-molecule organic waste
byproduct.  Carbon goes after the larger molecules, and I should think CO2 to
be too small to be adsorbed by carbon.  Look, instead, for excess surface
agitation.  Airstones, bubbling ornaments, excessive turbulence while being
exposured to air, etc., can all drive off CO2.  I don't use a Millennium
filter, but don't they advertise it as "wet/dry"?  Does that mean the water
is being mixed with air at some point?  If so, there's where your CO2 is
probably going.  Also, excessive water drop from the lip of the filter into
the main body of water in the tank can be a cause of excessive aeration.  You
want a gentle drop so water is introduced into the tank with a minimum of
turbulence.

 Can anyone reccomend a good hang-on-the-back power
>  >filter that DOES'NT use carbon cartridges?  Maybe Aquaclear?

AquaClear can be run with any combination of filter material you choose.  You
don't have to run carbon in their setup.  Not having a Millennium to compare
them side by side, it's possible the different design of the AC filter MIGHT
reduce water agitation.