Re; Can tinted films make cheap lights visually pleasing?

"David Bundy" <bundyd at semantique_com> wrote:

<snip>
> So here's my question:  Can colored, transparent plastic film ever make cheap but ugly lights visually appealing?
<snip>

I would venture and say: no, they can't, if what you want is basicaly increase
the CRI of your lamp. A CW has a peaked spectrum around the 550 nm region, so
the colors of illuminated objects appear greenish. To increase the perceived
CRI you need to either add some extra red and blue, or filter out some green.
That is, you have to flatten the spectrum so it looks closer to a solar
spectrum. You cannot do that with cheap filters.

- Ivo Busko
  Baltimore, MD