Sharing plants from possibly contaminated tank

My 20 gallon aquarium is being completely overrun by java fern.  I'd
like to be able to share or trade some of it, because java fern is
extremely hard to find around here.  None of the LFS's have any nice
java fern, I got mine started from just 1 or 2 sick leaves with no roots
3 years ago. BUT, I have had maybe a dozen platys die in this tank over
the past two years from what *might* be mycobacteriosis.  Also, a few of
the fern leaves are coated with some kind of thick slimy brown algae
that I wouldn't want to pass on to anyone.

How can the java ferns be decontaminated and/or quarantined so they can
be safely introduced to someone else's aquarium?  Since I am supplying
the plants, I'm not willing to expend much money or effort to make them
presentable. Still, it seems such a waste to send them to the landfill
(actually, it is an incinerator here).

Best regards,
Bob