Commom vs Scientific Names

 In a message dated 8/19/00 3:52:22 AM Eastern Daylight Time,

  Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 18:38:53 -0400
  From: Dwight <boukmn at mindspring_com>
  Subject: Re: Common vs Scientific names (was Florida Flag Fish Freedom)

  Brenda:

  >I did a simple internet search on the Flagfish (Jordanella floridae) and
  >found at least one educational site that lists the common name as Florida
  >Flagfish.        >http://riverwoods.ces.fau.edu/projects/fish.html

  Excellent work Brenda!  For your diligent detective work in the defence of
  the legitimacy of the name "Florida Flag Fish" for the Jordanella floridae,
  you are now promoted to GENERAL in the Florida Flag Fish Freedom Faction!
 :-D

  This should begin to set the record straight!  And it should give those who
  would impose "American" Flag Fish name exclusivity opon us all something to
  think about!
  On another note, it seems like these little guys DO stand up to
  cross-country priority mail shipping.  I sent a few of these to San Fran as
  a test...SUCCESS!

  Interested?  Check Me at:
  http://floridadriftwood.com/floridaflagfish.htm
  ~Florida Flagfish Forever!!!
   ------------------------------ >>

Not only will the American Flag Fish ship well by priority mail they will
survive
surface travel as well.  While at the AKA Convention (Tampa Fl, Memorial Day
week end 2000) I obtained 20 wild specimens which were bagged 10 per bag in
about two gallon of water in each bag.  The bags were placed in a regular
fish shipping container which remained there for four days while being hauled
around Tampa and making the return trip to Virginia.  No fish were lost.
Now I am not sure if Dwight's, New and Rare Species the Florida Flag Fish
would survive this type of treatment:).

 Allen