re: H2O2 Update

In a message dated 8/17/00 3:54:53 PM Eastern Daylight Time,

<< I'm curious as to whether there were any fish in the
 tank, and if so, what effects they showed.  I'm also
 curious about any nitrifying bacteria cultures and
 whether you measured any changes in ammonia or
 nitrites. >>

Good point - I lost one otto and two Ghost shrimp. Flagfish and mollies had
no observable distress other than the Flagfish lurking in the vegetation more
than usual. I really should have measured ammonia and nitrates but after
finding bodies I did a 3/4 water change ASAP and at that point had to add
KNO3 to reach the 5ppm I like to maintain for plant growth. Flagfish was back
on the prowl after that. As we speak, the staghorn continues to erode - I
think the few attached fragments remaining are nothing but dead, dissolving
protein.
Yes, Silvia, my dose was a little on the high side - I should have done the
math twice and not so late at night. I put in exactly four times too much.
The combination of a UV sterilizer and H2O2 treatment has left this once
algae ridden aquarium clean as a whistle. Of course, having been set up for
five months now - perhaps the system finally matured and reached a "balance"
where conditions favoring algae declined to the point where plants took over
- who knows...

Bob Olesen
West Palm Beach