re: ISFET Ph pens and controllers

Dirk:
I was on the high-tech bandwagon also until my pH meter started to do weird
things.
Parallel to my high-tech tank, I also had a low tech tank with a yeast
bottle - this tank was just as little work as the gee-whiz set-up. So I
stopped being anal about it and let  the pH fluctuate a bit. The plants are
doing well, the fish are fine and now I wonder why I went that way in the
first place.
The mantra of a stable pH during the day is not natural anyway. In lakes and
ponds, it fluctuates considerably (as per Diana Walstad).

The only prerequisit is water with a decent kH, say 6-10 degrees is ideal to
buffer any excess CO2.

Michael Eckardt