H2O2 update

List,

I thought I'd report on the progress of my H2O2 treatment initiated last week
on my 75 gal tank with a serious staghorn algae problem. As you have no doubt
forgotten (if you even bothered to read it in the first place), I foolishly
added 14oz of 3% H2O2 to the 75 gal tank in question which resulted in the
staghorn turning white within 24 hours followed by Rotalla m. going almost
totally green within the same time frame. Within 48 hours, the Hetra z. began
melting from the edges inward and the tips of the pearlgrass started looking
a bit scorched soon thereafter. Unfortunately, the tiny sprig of Lagarosiphon
madagascariensis a famous list member sent me began to show signs of distress
as well. I was really an idiot to have left that in there - but it seemed
like such a tough, wiry little plant. The Alternanthera reineckii eventually
developed a few holes but amazingly, the Eusteralis s. remained unfazed as
did the Cabomba. The glosso had a few leaves go yellow here and there but
then - there's a lot more where that came from. Totally unaffected to date
are Bacopa m., Hygro p. "sunset" Rotalla i., Ludwigia grand. and repens,
Hygro "willow leaf", and C. wendtii. The staghorn algae has all melted for
now. I looks like everything will recover and regenerate - except I'm real
worried about the Lagarosiphon. There's only a few green areas of stem left
and a tiny sprout on one side that looks to still be alive. The H2O2
definitely did a number on the algae though - it's gone.

Bob Olesen
West Palm Beach