Re: LaMotte pH test kit AG-21 no longer available?

> Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 17:45:15 -0500
> From: Lobos <lobos0331 at yahoo_com>
>
> George - spend $50-70 and buy a electronic pH meter from one of the
> online warehouse catalogs, it is worth the money.  I work in the science
> field so I bought mine from Fisher Scientific (www.fishersci.com) for
> $50, but I saw some in the Pet Warehouse catalog which were identical to
> the portable scientific meters.

We had one once and were not impressed. We have 12 years of experience with pH
meters/controllers on our aquariums. We have two Sandpoint II pH/OPR controllers
and one newer Sandoint pH controller so we are well equipped with [expensive]
electronic pH meters. Our experiences with these devices and pH electrodes have
made us extremely suspicious of them. We think it is mandatory to have a decent
test kit to check the electronic meters against.

I'll start a new thread on CO2 controllers and elaborate.

> Compared to all the money you would
> spend on LaMotte refills this thing pays for itself.

Eh? A refill used to cost $7 and was good for two years at our usage. If you
consider the cost of replacing batteries and the lifetime of pH electrodes
(which you can't replace in the hand held gadgets (?)), I think it may NOT pay
for itself. You might be right if you are checking the pH of dozens of tanks
daily - you would certainly save some time. We check the pH of each of our three
tanks once every two weeks to make sure the pH controllers or pH electrods
aren't going south.

George Booth in Ft. Collins, Colorado (booth at frii_com)
  http://www.frii.com/~booth/AquaticConcepts