Re: More reflector measurements

Biplane10 at aol_com wrote:

> Ivo,
>
> I've seen the Triton reflectors. They look very similar to the bright kit
> from AH Supply, which is used with PCF's (which is not a single tube). Since
> that effect is thrown off when the positioning is not centered, how well does
> this increase the light reflected with the PCF?

Hi, Sylvia,

Yes, they look similar, but they might be not _exactly_ the same thing. In
optics, even very small differences count. It's hard to say anything
without actually measuring the ligth output. One thing is for sure: a
parabolic reflector works at its best when the ligth source is pointlike.
The more you move away from a pointlike geometry, the harder it gets to
design a proper reflector. This is why I'm thinking even of using T5 bulbs
instead of T8 to build a ligth canopy.

> And, since I've thought of using a Triton to enhance lighting on a tank where
> I have two bulbs I'd be real interested to see your results. Thanks for your
> reports.

Hope to get some results soon...

> Sylvia

> p.s. Someone posted a website where instructions for a DIY strip to hold a
> pcf fixture and bulb were given. Not only am I limited by strip size, but by
> the opening in the hood. It's only large enough to accommodate the existing
> strip, about 5 inches, with the actual opening about 4". I don't like those
> all-glass tops they sell. Anybody aware of diy instructions on building a
> hood perchance?

Be aware that the Triton reflector is 6.5" wide, so it won't fit in the
opening of your canopy. The AHS reflector is better in this regard, it
is 4" wide.

- Ivo Busko
  Baltimore, MD