RE: How much flourite (answer)

I have also just set up a 75 gallon tank - 48*18*21H - using flourite.  I
tried to use the recommended amount - 1Kg for every 31 inches square.  I
have 864 in sq. and needed 28 Kg of flourite = 4 bags.  I actually used 5
bags and even that only gave me a 2 1/4 inch layer.  If I could do it again
I would add some gravel to make the layer at least 3" deep.  I am not sure
why such a thin layer is recommended.  Maybe it is not that important, but
it does make it difficult to keep some of the plants ... planted.

In addition I would count on spending some time rinsing the flourite before
putting in the tank.

David Brooks