Re: Compact Flourescent lighting question

I don't know how well this fixture will reflect light back to the tank. I
have used these light bulbs in strips, in place of incandescents and I think
they rate okay. There's a list member who builds all his light strips using
these compacts and has great success. Unfortunately aol trashed all my mail
and bookmarks, so I can't provide their url. He even has a DIY page on how to
build strip lights cheaply. I'll leave it to someone else to help you with
the lighting.

I do have an experience with 2 window tanks. On one I put backing and
provided additional lighting; on the other, it received direct sun (no
backing paper), plus some, but less, additional lighting. These two tanks sit
side by side. I did have some algae problems in the tank with backing, not
major, and waited until it was well established and growing before I removed
the backing. The water remained clear and the algae growth was about the same
as before.

Though I loaded the other tank with plants heavily from the get go, I
developed green water, and thready cotton algae. I covered the tank for a
week with a towel. It cleared the water but I lost some plants. I now have
backing on this tank until I get it well cycled and growing.

It just seems  to me that it's better to get the tank actively growing and
established before exposing it to full sun. Maybe modify the amount of time
the sunlight hits the tank.

Sylvia