Complaint about Flourite

Wanted to mention a major problem with Flourite.

I had to do a major rearrangement and trimming on a tank today. This is a full flourite tank. Unfortunately, I have many stem plants in this tank, some of which root profusely. While pulling up cabomba and r. macranda, to replant the tips, I found I was pulling out handfuls of roots that had spread throughout the nearby area, wrapped around other plants, etc. I even inadvertently wound up pulling up a crispus bulb nearby, that had not yet rooted too well.

Even my h. zosterfolia, (I'd gotten tired of those black leaves and stems, and just cut off clean tips about 2 weeks ago and hid them under some sword leaves) were spreading all over. Who knew they'd even grow there?

Major problem. Maybe the CO2 is to blame.

;-)

I'm thinking this would have been the perfect substrate for a slow-growing low-light tank where I have crypts, some swords and anubias. It's 1/2 flourite, 1/2 gravel with FL laterite and TerraLit on the bottom. I get nowhere near the root system on some of these stems.

I should mention that even some stems with profuse roots were not necessarily doing that well though. It could be the murky water I've been dealing with since I upped the lighting a few weeks ago.

Sylvia