Re: Zoo Med Bulbs

Ivo Busko wrote:

> This past week I was shopping for T-8 ballasts. I'm looking for instant
> star, 3-lamp, high ballast factor models. Home Depot sells a Magnetek with
> 0.88 ballast factor for $19.99. A couple blocks away, a commercial supplier
> sells a Osram/Sylvania 1.18 ballast factor model for $22.13. I *strongly*
> suggest to go after the commercial distributors. You get 34% more ligth
> with a 10% price increase...

I should have mentioned in my post... this is totally anecdotal, but I've
had great results with the Osram ballasts from my commercial place, wheras
one of the "home depot" Advance Ballasts I bought tended to make the bulbs
flicker or "burp" a little light every few minutes when powered off (!) by
my X10 modules.  So for me, there's a quality difference too, enough that
I'll always buy from the industrial place.

Still, there's a lot of people who just don't like to dig up a good
commercial supplier, and they at least have the option.

  - Erik

--
Erik Olson
erik at thekrib dot com