RE:Loaches and Snails

>> I`ve read that several folks out there have and love their Clown Loaches in
>> their planted tanks . Well , I aquired 6 of them ranging from 3 1/2 to over
>> 5 inches long . Since their addition to my tank I`ve noticed a lot of "funk"
>> in the water .

>Did you have snails in the tank before you added the clown loaches?  Clown
>loaches love escargot!
>
>I have found that snails do a great job of cleaning up detritus. What you may be
>seeing is the loaches have decimated your janitorial crew and you now have
>detritus building up on top of the substrate. Any movement stirs it up.

I have found this to be very true over the course of many years since I've
always had loaches and plants. My water stays clear etc but the mulm is
heavy.

>What to do?  I'm afraid you have to remove the loaches.  We had this very same
>problem and had to donate two very lovely 5" clowns loaches to the LFS.

You know you are plant nut when .....................:)
It's a painful thing to do though for myself.
I have some that going to be removed soon too.
Regards,
Tom Barr