Fluval in planted tanks

>Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 08:28:40 -0400
>From: osullivan at ameritech_net
>Subject: Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #445

>Say, has anyone used the Fluval 304 canister filter on a planted tank?  I
going to
>be getting rid of my Rennaisance Prime 20 as it seems to be slowly falling
apart -
>intake tube cracking, etc...  The Fluval 304 looks to me to be a soundly
>constructed unit and I wondered if anyone has had any practical experience
with
>this unit (good or bad) that they would like to share.

Hi,

I had a fluval 403 (one step up and back, i think, from the filter you
mention) in my 55 g planted tank.  it was great.  the only complaint i had
was priming it after it was opened - sort of tedious turning it upside down
and burping it for a half hour.  i actually replaced the output tube with a
gravel vac tube, had my DIY CO2 bubble in there, and the action of the
returning water dissolved all of the CO2 quite well, and it was great.

I switched over to an Eheim for a bunch of reasons, but now I'm regretting
it and will go back to the Fluval at some point.  (I bought the fish, all
of the Flourite, now I'm preparing to buy the CO2 system, the lights from
AH Supply, and new plants - and will change the filter when I have the rest
of my dream tank components assembled and ready to install.)

-j.