Ametek vs R.O. water filters

Well over a year ago I brought up the Ametek filtration system
http://www.shopibs.com/counter%20top%20filter.htm  as an alternative to
expensive R.O. systems.  Back then, there was some contraversy over why
some people thought they were effective or not.  I now have the information
to more effectively argue the point that this system should be considered
as an alternative to expensive RO systems for planted tanks.

1.	Filtered water volume: The AMETEK CBR2-10R for example, costs $37.00 but
is rated to do 2,000 gallons (foolishness! I've abused this thing up to at
least 3,000-4,000 gal with no ill effects).  RO systems will give only 50
gallons per night and only a fraction of the over all amounts of water for
its lifetime.  God help you if you are one of the "constant water change"
fanatics!

2.	Low Cost: The Canister and fittings plus one filter cost only $80.00.
This compares well to the cost of an RO system $150.00.

Some will argue that their water quality sucks and they need some
space-aged purification system.  I live in South Florida and we've got
"liquid rock" limestone hard water.  However, unless you are a delicate
commercial fish breeder, this really should not matter!  Plants can adapt
to such a wide range of water conditions the only REAL consern we should
have is the dreaded chloramine!  This nasty stuff is exactly what this
filter is designed to remove.

Barley Straw Extract:
http://www.floridadriftwood.com/alfloraapm.html