Deforming SAEs

Here's a weird one.  I started out with three SAEs in
my thirty gallon tank.  After awhile, one started to
look really skinny with a kinked spine.  I assumed it
was a genetic goof until it happened to another one
that was always a bit skinny.  The third remains full
bodied and growing.  Algae is VERY scarce, but they do
eat flake food and mosquito larvae.  I have never seen
anything like this before.  Thoughts?  Thanks, Cavan.