re:Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #445

I found that after I fixed the nutrient imbalance and poor circulation
in my tank the BGA still did not go away, it only stopped its growth.
The plants at this time were growing well and the new shoots did not
contain BGA on them.  I had to treat the tank with erythromycin to give
the plants an edge while killing off the BGA.  This finally resulted in
the complete disappearance of BGA.  After this I did 2X, 50% water
changes to remove the dead BGA from the water column and the
antibiotic.  This was 1 month ago and I have not seen any BGA since.

A word on antibiotic resistance, if you treat your tank with the
recommended dose for the full treatment period then the chances of
bacterial antibiotic resistance is extremely low.  If you treat the tank
with half the recommended dose or do not continue the treatment to the
end of the recommended treatment time, then antibiotic resistance may
ensue.  The reason is that in the second case you have a lower
concentration of antibiotic in the tank and this can act to drive the
occurrence of  antibiotically resistant mutant bacteria.

Lobos