Pre-Filter Box

I want use a spare 10-gallon tank as a plant filter for my 29-gal. Before I
go about it, I need to get a pre-filter.  I searched the krib for a DIY
method of building it and saw a really neat design.  But, I don't have the
tools (jig saw and clamps) to build it. I looked at the current Pet
Wharehouse catalog and it annoys me to have to spend $70 for it. I have two
questions:

1)  If (and this is a mighty big if) I were to buy the $70 prefilter, would
I have to use a properly sized wet/dry drain hose (a vacuum hose for
cleaning swimming pools)?  If so, then how would I control the flow rate
since I haven't seen ball valves for those types of hoses? I don't want to
create a whirlpool in my 29-gal!

2)  Can anyone point me to a site where I can get pre-filters for much less
$$$$$$$$$$$$.  The most I am considering spending is $50.

Thanks for the advice everybody, I wouldn't have gotten this far without
it!!!

Ashley