Green smelly water

Approximately a week and a half ago I used maracyn to get rid of BGA.That
worked fine but last weekend when I went away for a couple of days my  DIY
CO2 got sucked into the filter by way of a siphon.When I got home on Monday
night the water was cloudy and the SAE's were gasping for air at the
surface.I quickly did a 50% water change and added emergency oxygen
tablets(oxygenex by aquatronics).On tuesday I also did another 40% water
change.From the CO2 accident I lost a total of three SAE's.Here's the problem
now though.Since Monday the water has gotten progresively cloudier so that it
looks like a case of green water.The tank also has a pungent odor to it that
makes the whole room stink(my bedroom).I've tried traditional methods like
blacking out the tank and using a diatom filter for about three days on and
off for about six hours a day but it has only gotten worse.Needless to say
it's been a bad week.Ialso found two dead cardinal tetra's in the tank
today,otherwise the plants and fish don't seem to be bothered.Ijust wanted to
know if the BGA or sugar water/yeast could be the problem or if it is just
coincidental and really just green water.I've had green water before but it
has never stunk like this before(the family is starting to complain).Any
thoughts and or comments would be greatly appreciated.Thank you very much.