Re: Red Plants

An update on r. macranda that used to be green, and now is growing red.

A few notes . . . previously I had some of my light strips lined with
aluminum foil because they were old and discolored or were plain old black.
The light strips over the 29 gallon growing the r. macranda were new.  After
reading some back-and-forth on white vs. aluminum long ago, I decided a
brand-spanking new light strip would be sufficient. Apparently not. Someone
mentioned foiling their light strips a few weeks ago when we were discussing
lighting intensity, and I decided to give it a go on the new white light
strips. Major difference, according to r. macranda, anyway.  However, it was
much healthier when it grew green as opposed to red. The leaves were large,
symmetrical and the stems were thick and rigid. All stems rooted and were
healthy, with the exception of the old leaves which were melting. (Growth
prior to being planted in my tank)

Now, while the leaves are very red, the stems are thin, though more branchy.
Some leaves are growing out very small. I first thought if the light
increased sufficiently and thus nutrient demands increased (and resulting
nutrient deficiencies), this may be causing some of the growth
differences--but I'd expect to see at least as fast vertical growth as
before, if not faster, and this is not the case. I began to increase Flourish
supplementation almost immediately after noticing the coloring differences.
Just today I supplemented with some commercially sold fertilizer (for lack of
time and planning) with n-p-k, magnesium, sulphur & iron. Obviously I don't
yet know whether this will help.

Thus, the only thing I can really add is that aluminum foil used on Perfecto
light strips will increase light reaching the plants.

Sylvia