Flag fish

Kevin Z. brought up flag fish, after hinting that he would like
feedback...

Well, here ya go!

I see these flag fish mentioned all the time.  I can't track down in any
book the common name flag fish, and I have no idea what they are, though
I would love to find out.  So, Kevin, would you describe them for me?
Anyone have a pic they would send me, or a scientific name, or a west
coast colloquial name I might recognize the fish by?

(Something tells me these fish are gonna turn out to be guppies....)

Marci