Iodised Salt

A member from Australia just said that Iodine is not added to salt as a
needed dietary element.

Sorry, that is simply wrong.  I live in Iowa, the "Heart of The Goiter Belt,"
and our water supplies are totally void of any Iodine, as is our soils.  In
other words, we get NO iodine at all in our diets.  Lack of Iodine causes
Goiter, which is an enlargement of the Thyroid Gland, making the neck
unnaturally large.  My wife suffers from this, and in addition to daily doses
of the Thyroid Hormone, MUST use Iodised Salt.  You can get table salt in
this area that IS iodised, or is not - both flow freely.

Iodine is a NECESSARY mineral in the human diet.  Iodised salt is provided in
grocery stores in this area because they are REQUIRED by law to offer it.

Now, as to whether our aquarium plants or fish need iodine - they don't.
But, people DO.

Jean Olson
JOlson8590 at AOL_com