Re:table salt in a planted tank

On Wed, 19 Jul 2000, David Luckie wrote:

> I would like some listmember accounts regarding the
> efficacy of using salt to control potential parasites,
> and any accounts of the salt's effects on aquatic vegetation.

I can't give you any input on the efficacy of using salt to control
parasites, but be aware that if your water isn't at least moderately
hard to start with then adding ppt-level amounts of table salt could force
the plants into deficiencies of calcium, magnesium or potassium.  That
would be noticable if the condition were maintained for more than a few
days.  The extent of the effect will vary from plant to plant and
substrate composition may influence things, as well.

Roger Miller