[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Salt in planted tank

I was horrified when I found thin, white worm looking
critters in my newly set up 10 gallon tank.  I salted
the water, using pure table salt to a 1.5 part per
thousand concentration in an attempt to control the
worms.  The worms are gone.  I have not noticed any
significant degradation in plant growth or appearance,
but a week is not much time.  There are still no fish
yet in the tank, although I do plan to add a black
molly to help control the algae that is appearing.

Off list, I received questions and warnings about
using salt.  One email suggested that I pull all of
the plants.  Another email asked where I had gotten
the recommendation for using salt to control
parasites, and what effects I had seen so far.  A
third email suggested a higher concentration (2 to 3
ppt), and a fourth suggested that the worms were not
likely parasitic.

I have used salt in fish tanks on several occasions to
cure ich and other maladies.  I have also used salt
"prophylactically" in my pond during spring to control
outbreaks of goldfish/koi diseases.  By all 'expert'
accounts I have read, a 1 to 2 ppt concentration is
not particularly harmful to aquatic plants, but that
maintaining this concentration is almost certain death
for all but a few invertebrate parasites and
pathogenic bacteria.

Through trial and error, I've found that 2 ppt or
higher does damage many aquatic plants.  Hardy lilies
and other sturdy stem plants are not significantly
affected, but most submerged plants are. 
Concentrations of 3 ppt will affect even those.  On
the lower end of the scale, a concentration of 1 ppt
does little to control the critters, but that 1.25 to
1.50 does the job.  

I would like some listmember accounts regarding the
efficacy of using salt to control potential parasites,
and any accounts of the salt's effects on aquatic vegetation.

Do You Yahoo!?
Get Yahoo! Mail  Free email you can access from anywhere!