Ricca/Java moss mats

Amano does this by taking a metallic mesh screen, placing the ricca under
this screen and letting the ricca grow through it. To do this well you must
place the screen on a level surface with good light intensity until the
ricca grows through the mess. Once you have some good growth then you may
place it in the tank. I have had some luck using a rigid plastic screen
instead of the metal to do this. It also works well with Java moss and I
have seen tanks with just ricca mats and java moss boulders in the Great
One's(Amano) office.