Ceratophyllum demersum - or is it submersum?

Response to Klaus Haber's message:

>Subject: Ceratophyllum loses leaves

>Hello,
>I bought a pretty nice Ceratophyllum demersum. Within 2 - 3 days after
>putting it in the tank, the plant starts loosing nearly all leafes. Parts of
>the plant are now existing only as stem. I fixed the plant with a stone over
>the ground (not in the ground).

I have Ceratophyllum submersum (Tropical Hornwort), which has no roots, and is
a floating plant.  "Demersum" I think means it should be grown emersed, ie in
the air, not underwater - experts please advise.

Anyway, they need a lot of light - losing leaves suggests to me not enough
light.  It should also be floating at the top of the tank if it is
"submersum", rather than anchored to the bottom of the tank with a stone.

Hope that helps,

Susi Barber.

Susi Barber
PO Box 76