Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #412

> Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2000 13:57:06 EDT
> From: Biplane10 at aol_com
> Subject: Light bulb source
>
> One more quick question about the Ultra Tri Lux . . . After searching through
> most of the big MO stores (web sites or catalog), I can't find this
> particular bulb. The Penn Plax bulb generally carried is the Aquarilux.
>
> Coralife makes the Trichromatic which is essentially the same thing(?), but
> slightly lower intensity, but they do have it available with a reflector.
>
> 1) Does anyone know a source for the Ultra Tri Lux?

This was already answered ("Mail Order Pet Shop") but here are some prices:

 40w PennPlax Ultra Tri-Lux  $22.46
 40w Aquarium Products Triton $23.29

The spectrum and intensity of the TriLux are different from the TriChromatic.
Also, the TriLux is a T-10 bulb (1 1/8" dia) and the TriChromatic is a T-12
(which perhaps explains the higher intensity of the TriLux).

> 2) Does that reflector on the Coralife Trichromatic bulbs significantly help?

No, actually, it significantly hurts. It does not reflect light to any
measureable amount on it's own and it prevents a *real* reflector from working
because it blocks light going up. And it's not a "built in" reflector - it's a
piece of silver tape added to the outside of a regular TriChromatic for an extra
$3. And, if where the bulb pins end up in the sockets in your fixture don't
align properly with where they placed the tape, the tape reflector will not even
be pointing the right direction (if it *did* work). A real dim-bulb idea. And,
IMHO, the TriChromatics aren't that hot to start with, intensity-wise.

Details of testing the TriChromatics are on my website.

BTW, my home PC is still down, so if you wrote to me and haven't gotten a
response, that's why. My web site is still up.

George Booth in Ft. Collins, Colorado (booth at frii_com)
  http://www.frii.com/~booth/AquaticConcepts