RE: Light intensity

> > > 1) What level of lighting do the experts use (Tom, Roger, Neil, Karen,
> Erik,
> > > Diana, Charley, Jon, ... you know who you are)?

Charley is cheap.  I have over a dozen tanks with open tops
and no light, but from bright to poor ambient light and
sometimes direct sunlight (north, south, and west sides
of the house... I don't have room on the east side.  ;-))
I try to balance plant species with how bright I think the
tank will be.  (Does this mean zero watts?  ;-))

I'll light my bigger tanks, but at present my 180g is running
dual flourescent and compact flourescent at 1.4 watts/gallon.
If I had to do it again, I'd go metal halide on the big ones so
I wouldn't have to try as hard to get some more difficult
species to grow.

--charley
charleyb at cytomation_com