Re: removing Biowheels

In a message dated 7/8/2000 01:00:22 Pacific Daylight Time,

> After
>  reading several posts stating that the bio-wheels gas
>  a lot of CO2 off, I've been thinking about removing
>  them.  I am concerned about the impact on my
>  biological filtration as my tank is stocked too
>  heavily.  Should I try a gradual removal, by slowing
>  the flow of the water to the bio-wheels, then using
>  only 1 for a while, before finally removing them both?
>   Or should I just rip the suckers off?

Oh, you REALLY want to read a lot of conflicting advice, don't you?  Well,
I'll toss in my two cents worth:  rip the suckers out.  They do remove a lot
of CO2 from the water, and their biological filtration importance is mostly a
product of advertising hype.  Removing them abruptly causes a barely
noticeable ammonia spike that is insignificant, and which lasts only a day or
so at the most.  After that, the rest of the bacteria in the tank quickly
catch up to demand and filter out all the ammonia.  (Well, you asked for an
opinion, and that's mine.)