Re: flowering lotus

Gitte is asking about how she can encourage her lotus to bloom. Is the tank
situated where some sunlight can fall on it? I had a dwarf waterlily in a
tank placed in a west facing window a few years ago and once it started to
bloom it did so daily (a new flower every day) for months. Nothing quite
like the sight of a fresh waterlilly blossom on a snowy February morning.
The ONLY light that this tank received was sunlight.

I think that if you want blooms, you are going to have to allow at least
some of the floating leaves to remain and I would also start inserting
fertilizer spikes or tabs close to the rootstock on a regular basis - these
sorts of plants are heavy feeders, especially when they are producing
flowers. Putting so much emphasis on one plant might cause it to overwhelm
the others in the tank (especially if too many floating leaves shade the
others out.

Honestly though, if you've never had one of these bloom for you, you owe it
to yourself to try it, at least once.

James Purchase
Toronto