Re: heating cables & plant growth

> Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 17:30:29 -0500
> From: Lobos <lobos0331 at yahoo_com>
>
> Is it possible to revitalize an older substrate by periodically adding
> laterite fertilizer balls or Jobe's sticks to the substrate, instead of
> using substrate heating cables?  In theory the addition of fertilizer to
> the substrate should provide a new supply of nutrients to the substrate,
> which as far as I understand is the mode of action of heating cables.
> Of course this is in theory.

It sure seems like it is possible. Being "Dupla diehards" we did try adding
Duplarit "K" laterite balls to the trouble tank and that didn't help. The
Dupalrit doesn't really seem to have much in the way of nutrients except for
iron, so one shouldn't expect this to work. I guess we did it because it was
something we could buy :-}

George Booth in Ft. Collins, Colorado (booth at frii_com)
  http://www.frii.com/~booth/AquaticConcepts