Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #392

On the subject of long term substrate slowing down after 12-18 months, I
have notice the same thing in most of my tanks.  After many years of
keeping plants in a soil based substrate, i know that if I replace the
old substrate with new soil, the tank will be very robust for another
year.  Currently, I am working with substrates that are 2 or more years
old trying to keep things growing in an acceptable manner.

I would appreciate hearing opinions on what has changed in older
substrates and how we plant keepers can maintain an older substrate.

Joe Hildreth
15 Cedar Street
Potsdam,NY 13676