Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #388

>Don't have any experience with [excel] myself; I considered it
>initially, but then decided against it (although I may still experiment at
>some point) because plants will not bubble with Excell.  The reason for this
>is the bubbles are formed when the plant strips the carbon out of CO2.  The
>O2 part is left behind, forming the nice bubbles you see on the plants.
>Since the Excell is a photosynthetic intermediary used by the plant, the
>plant no longer needs to break up the co2, and thus no bubbles.

>Derek Johnson
>www.geocities.com/djohnson1981

Just being pedantic again, but the O2 comes from the removal of H from
water, not frojm CO2.  Also it happens very late in photosynthetic
pathways, so any intermediary would have the same result,if that's indeed
where the bubbles are coming from.  If that's what the folks from flourish
are claiming, then the scientific basis of what they are claiming is
seriously undermined.  That's not to say that it doesn't work, just that
they might not have a clue why.

Doug

Doug Karpa-Wilson
Department of Biology