euthanasia

Date:	Sun, 2 Jul 2000 18:33:23 -0400
From:	"heinesen" <heinesen at idirect_ca>
Subject:	euthanasia by Alka-Seltzer???

I just read an article that suggested a humane way to euthanise a fish is by
<<<<<<placing the fish in a small container with water and adding an Alka
Selzer tablet>>>>>>
Has anyone ever heard of this and/or done this?  I assume I will at some time in the future, have a need to know how to euthanise a fish, and I know I won't be able to do it by cutting its spinal cord.
Thanks.
Gitte

Euthanasia of fish via sodium bicarbonate (Alka-Seltzer, baking soda, etc.) isn't accepted by the AVMA as a humane method, but since most of us don't have access to anesthetics like tricaine, benzocaine, or Na pentobarbitol, it's about the best method the hobbyist can use.  Some say pithing/decapitation is more humane, but you can't exactly ask the fish, so that remains a matter of opinion.

About 30 g (1/4 cup) of baking soda per liter of water is an appropriate dose for rapid euthanasia.  Leave the fish in the solution for 10 minutes after breathing has stopped.

Regards

Dave Gauthier