Re: APD V4 #374 - KC1

> Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 17:34:42 -0700
> From: "Robert H"
>
> OK, this should be an easy question for someone...
> What is KC1?

I'm assuming you've mistaken a " 1 " (one) for an " l " ("el") here, in
which case you're talking about potassium chloride.

> What form of K is it?

Just as usable as potassium nitrate, but not as handy - the anion is
chloride, which will basically raise the conductivity of the water while
increasing the osmotic differential. At least with nitrate you get a useful
secondary ion.

> And I presume its OK in an aquarium?

For the most part, but it depends on your use of it for long-term
desirability.

I use it as a component of my Rift salt mixes, for which it's great.

If you're using it as a potassium supplement for plants, there's this to
consider: if the cation is being consumed, what's happening to the remaining
portion? And what's being done to restore the ionic balance of the water?

-Y-

David A. Youngker
nestor10 at mindspring_com