Re: Re: "H" and the Peat solution & Re:Snails

Dwight wrote:

| Diana Wastad's Ecology of a Planted Aquarium Book
| http://www.floridadriftwood.com/alecologyplantedaquariumbook.html seems to
| support the hypothesis that decaying peat not only provides your aquarium
| w/ Co2 but also releases algae retarding chemicals overtime.  I
| consistently noted how I have not had a green water problem in my
| predominantly peat / vermiculite substrates snce I've been setting them
up.

In ponding/watergardening circles, decaying barley straw is said to release
algae retarding chemicals and prevent new growth of string algae. Probably
the same principle as the decaying peat. I have used barley straw in my
watergarden successfully to combat string algae, but my water turned
brownish, so I discontinued using it.

Bob Dixon wrote:

| Actually, I knew it is an apple snail, yet that is the common name.  So
| that's what I call it.  I hope that's okay.  If you know how to tell the
one
| that does NOT eat vascular plants from all the others, I'd like some clues
| how to do it.  I happen to love those big ones, but my plants can't take
it.
| I have Venezuelan ramshorns, and I have to be careful when setting up a
| breeding tank that I don't introduce any.  With apple snails, it would be
| easier to spot them, and the eggs are deposited in huge clumps above the
| water surface, so you don't transport the eggs on plants accidently,
either.

I found a great website that gives lots of info on apple snails including
how to tell which ones eat your plants. According to the site, some of the
most common ones sold are:

Pomacea bridgesi : won't eat healthy plants
Pomacea canaliculata : will definitely eat your plants
Pomacea paludosa : doesn't say

There's also pretty detailed info and some diagrams and pictures on how to
tell them apart. I think the one I have which hasn't been eating my
watergarden plants so much that I would notice is either the second or
third. Don't think it's the first. Anyway, it's a great site for loads of
good info on apple snails and some info on other types of snails as well.
Here's a link.

 http://www.dds.nl/~snc/

Brenda
Watergardening in the Desert!