baking clay balls

A few days ago someone wrote about baking soil.  The benefits being that it would be sterile.  Is it also necessary to bake clay balls or can you just let the clay dry up.  Does it help the ball hardern more if it is cooked? I'm looking to make some this weekend.

Does baking destroy any of the chemicals that we want the plants to have.

Initially I had some trouble getting the clay to stay in a ball.  Anyone have a good "recipe"

Roger

$1 million in prizes! 20 daily instant winners.
AltaVista Rewards: Click here to win!
http://shopping.altavista.com/e.sdc?e=3