Re: Peat

Back when Amano's stuff was being sold by ADA, peat was listed as one of the
ingredients in his "power sand" substrate.  I used a little of it in my 55
gallon tank because it is purported to have some chemicals that will help
make minerals in clay available to plants.  I'm only talking a few fistfuls
tossed into two inches of substrate.  If you don't mind soft water, it isn't
dangerous at low levels.  The tank has been going for a year and a half, and
I don't see any problems, except small gobs of black stuff do appear on
occassion when I uproot a plant.  It washes off, and it is only because of
this thread that I have begun to think it might be from the peat.  At any
rate, I'm not rushing off to rip the tank down.

Back in the late 70's I had a 55 gallon tank with sub-gravel peat plates
across the entire left half.  I had great plant growth on that side, and
couldn't get anything to grow at all on the right side.  Again, being young
and slow-witted, I didn't even think about the peat being the cause of my
good luck on the left side.  I put it in there to make the water dark for my
angels and Apistos.  It was like that two years and I never had a probalem
with the tank.

Bob Dixon