peat substrates

Folks,

I've used peat in the substrate of several tanks, but it isn't the
sphagnum variety.  The bag is labeled "glacial" peat and it contains some
rather coarse chunks.  It *does* color the water rather strongly, but in
the last couple tanks that effect went away after the substrate settled
and the plants were established.  I've never noticed anything in the way
of pH effects or softening, but my water is heavily buffered and it's
already soft.

The stuff has been great as a substrate amendment, boiled and mixed with
gravel at about 1 part peat to 4 parts gravel, then covered with clean
gravel.  That combination makes the best long-run substrate that I've
tried yet.

Roger Miller