Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #358

In a message dated 6/21/00 1:53:18 AM Mountain Daylight Time,

> I don't know a thing about pupfish eggs (on plants or substrate?), but
>  maybe you can protect them with a plastic mesh ensconcement?  Produce
>  stores often have little mesh baggies for herbs, etc., or one can get
>  netting from a cloth store...even an upside down worm cone feeder.  Guess
>  this only helps if you find the eggs before the snails...

Pup fish are killies and drop or bury the eggs in the gravel, where MTS are
pretty much the only thing that can get to them.  You may have to move the
fish, eliminate the snails, then put the fish back in.  The only thing I've
found that completely eliminates them is a power dose of muriatic acid.  You
have to wait about a week for the rot to end, then wash the gravel and refill
the tank.

Bob Dixon