Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #358

On 21 Jun 00, at 3:48, Aquatic Plants Digest wrote:

> >One night, I investigated and found a swarm of baby MTS around the
> >surface rim and around the tops of plants.  I observed no direct
> >feeding on the plants by the snails, but by morning the swarm had
> >disappeared and there was additional leaf damage.  Keep in mind I
> >don't ever feed the fish.

IME, MTS hide in gravel during the day and climb out during the
night, after dark. I don't know what is the reason for this (probably
feeding), but it seems to be a rather general pattern. Therefore, if
yo see them climbing on the side walls and plants during the night,
it's not anything strange. I am rather suprised that you say they
stopped doing it after a while.

Snails also tend to climb out (and virtually out of the aquarium) if
the water quality suddenly deteriorates.

Jan

Dr. Jan Fidrmuc
Center for European Integration Studies (ZEI)
University of Bonn
Walter-Flex-Strasse 3
53113 Bonn
Germany
Phone: +49-228-73-1821
Fax: +49-228-73-1809
Email: Fidrmuc at united_econ.uni-bonn.de
http://homes.arealcity.com/fidrmuc/