Substrate study (coming soon)

All this talk about kitty litter has finally got me to speak
up...Hopefully I'm not letting the cat-out-the-bag (sorry Dave!), but I
did a pretty extensive physical and chemical study of various
substrates for Dave's Planted Aquarium Magazine. It's reportedly
due out in the second issue (hopefully coming soon) and it should
help clear up a lot of questions in the substrate department.

The various substrates tested were: AquaTerra, CaribSea laterite,
Dupralit G, Flourite, WalMart Special kitty litter, Natural River
Rock, Onyx gravel, Hartz pH5 litter, First Layer Pure laterite,
Profile, Sand, Substrate Gold, Terralit, Tetra Initial Sticks, Turface,
Turface Black, Greensand, 2 brands of redart clay, and
soils/topsoils/subsoils/laterites from South Carolina; Toronto,
Canada; Finland; Yolo County, CA; and India.

The various parameters tested: pH; CEC; Total Al, Ba, Ca, Co, Cr,
Cu, Fe, K, Mg, Mn, Ni, V, and Zn; an explanation of the different
properties of each (size, color, physical properties, etc.) and the
make-up of the the various substrates (zeolite, laterite, calcined
clays, etc.)

All analyses were performed by me within a weeks time on the
same equipment, using the same procedures. This helps get
around the problems of different analysts performing slightly
different methods and then trying to compare a bunch of data that
is not the same. One analyst and one method is always best for
comparing as many samples as were listed above. I was quite
surprised at some of the conclusions I saw and I know a lot of you
folks will definitely benefit from the data, at least to settle some
lingering doubts.

And, BTW, the kitty litter is a good substrate choice, growing wise.

Jamie    <"\\\><