Re: Algae went away

On Sat, 17 Jun 2000, Wayne Jones wrote:

> Now I know that the algae disappearing like this is not uncommon but I
> really have no idea why it happens. I do not believe that it is a result of
> limiting a particular nutrient as I supplied all nutrients all the time, in
> the form of PMDD, water changes and fish food.

I think a lot of us wish we knew.  I don't think there is any one factor
in sudden changes like this, but rather a sudden convergence of several
factors that produce conditions unfavorable for algae.  Light, dissolved
nutrient levels and competition are the things we can test and see.  We
can't see changes in dissolved organic chemicals or in the microscopic
ecology in the tank. I have to suspect that the last two are key to the
unexplained changes that sometimes happen in tanks.

Roger Miller