Re: Kold Steril (was APD V4 #349

Hello,

Kold Steril and R/O units are two completely DIFFERENT systems,
operating on different principles and producing different results. Each
one is supposedly very good in what it does, which is different.

Kold Steril, as the name implies, offers "cold sterilization" i.e. it
passes the water through a 0.2 micron filter membrane, removing 99.9% of
all "bugs" (except viruses). The product water is bacterially sterile.
If a bit of chlorine was added at the outset, then most viruses would be
also inactivated.

The Kold Steril SYSTEM has an ion exchange membrane and activated carbon
unit added. They DO remove some heavy metals and organics. However, on
the Kold Steril site
(http://www.marine-monsters.com/front/products/koldsteril.html) I could
NOT find the capacity of the system, i.e. what volume of a given water a
cartridge will process, just a warning that the manufacturer's
directions on replacing spent units must be followed to obtain the
advertised results. That gives me something to think about!

If you need sterile water, with essentially unchanged water chenistry,
Kold Steril is probably the unit of choice.

On the other hand, there are several different R/O units with different
membranes, that produce different results. All of them pass water, under
pressure, through a very tight membrane that lets smaller ions/molecules
through, rejecting the larger ones and flushing them out. The "flushing"
part generally uses 3-4 times as much water as it produces as product.
The rejected water can be used to water your garden or for hardwater
lowing fish (also good for snails and Daphnia), but it is, essentially,
a waste stream.

Depending on the membrane, temperature, pressue, etc., generally up to
95+% rejection of divalent cations can be achieved. The product water is
VERY SOFT, almost like distilled water. For most uses minerals have to
be added (or raw water blended back in) to obtain the hardness one needs
for fish to live in it.

So, if you need soft or softer water, R/O is the way to go!

REMEMBER -- the two systems are NOT interchangeable -- they produce a
different product!

Best,

George