phosphate remover filter pad

I've about had it with DIY algae removal services . . .

I've checked in archives, seen this asked before, but no responses . . .
there is available at Pets Warehouse, TFP etc. a filter pad which removes
phosphates, and  one with *red and hair algae inhibitor*. Since this horrible
tufty stuff seems to like current, and winds up infesting in high-flow areas,
maybe this would actually be useful. I'm just wondering if there's actually
any benefit to it, or perhaps, negative consequences with its use.

Does anyone have any experience with the red algae inhibitor?

I've been thinking it would be more desirable to place easily
replaceable/renewable plants near the outflow of this filter, as opposed to
micranthemum micranthemoides.

Sylvia