Re: Ambulia Limnophilia indica - Banned? What's next?! >:-(

Dwight posted:

> I've been hearing rumors that Ambulia Limnophilia indica has been banned
> by almost half of the 50 USA states.  Is this true?  Is it now illegal to
> sell this plant?
>
> What I'd REALLY like to know is how are small shippers supposed to
navigate
> the shifting sands of state laws for every single plant?   Is there a
> central location where I can get state-by-state updates on what these
> politicos are going to ban next?

http://plants.usda.gov/plants/ contains both federal and state listings of
designated "noxious weeds".  Limnophila sessiliflora appears on the federal
noxious weed list, but that just means federal agencies are authorized to
take measures to control it where it appears in the wild, not that there's a
nationwide ban.  It's also listed as a "Prohibited aquatic plant, Class 2"
in Florida and a "Class A Noxious Weed" in South Carolina.

For background reading on the patchwork of state and federal laws that
apply, see http://www.cnie.org/nle/biodv-26.html (Congressional Research
Report for Congress on Harmful Non-Native Species, April 1999).  Another
useful site is the National Biological Information Infrastructure at
http://www.nbii.gov/invasive/

Alysoun McLaughlin
State-Federal Relations
National Conference of State Legislatures