Re: kitty litter substrate

Hello,
I have a 55 gallon with about 75% kitty litter and 25% gravel.  I would say
the gravel is between fine and medium grained.  It has been set-up for about
4 months (definitely not long term) and so far the plants, without CO2 are
growing marvelously.  I haven't fertilized or added anything else to the
substrate.  I'm growing crypts, swords, giant val, ambulia, and the glosso is
slowly but surely creating a carpet.  My lighting is 4 - 40 watt flourescents
on shop lights.  The tank went through an algae bloom a month ago and with
patience and conservative management (a little help from a 350 Magnum with a
micron) it resolved without too much effort.  Now the tank looks beautiful.
I plan on CO2 soon as I have a 20lb canister of it but I need to get a
regulator.  I''m a sit back and watch kind of guy and believe me I dont plan
on disturbing this tank for a long time so it will be an experiment in long
term kitty litter substrate.  I have observed that air bubbles in some areas
of the substrate remain probably due to compacting.  On the other hand I can
clearly see glosso roots penetrating the substrate when looking at it through
the glass.
Eric