Re: very mysterious deaths...

> From: "heinesen" <heinesen at idirect_ca>
> Subject: Re: very mysterious deaths...
>
> Also...now I am a trifle confused.  I thought air pumps were no-no's for
> planted tanks.  You switch off filters to reduce turbulence, but doesn't the
> air pump cause CO2 depletion?  Or is this not a problem in the dark?

Yes it does, plants give off additional C02 at night.. getting
the right balance of airstone at night and C02 injection to keep
pH swings from going too wild is tricky.

> From: Hoa Nguyen <nguyenh at nosc_mil>
> Subject: Re: very mysterious deaths...
>

> If O2 deficiency is really the problem, then why do you switch off the
> filters?  Why do you want to reduce turbulence?  When you switch on the air
> pump, it is to induce turbulence at the surface, so that oxygen from the
--snip--

I found that the airstone and the filter outlet being on the
same side of the tank cause to much water movement at night.
If you watch big goldfish sleeping and bumping into each
other you will understand.

These are derived from trial and error over the past 6 years.
What may work for me may not work for you, its food for thought
for you..

--
Raj, vu2zap
Bangalore, South India