Re: Tank problems

Jon Hammond is having a range of problems with his tank, but I haven't seen
any responses on-list.  I'll put in my two cents:

I've experienced every single one of the problems you're listing and often
in the same order (the bugs too, but that's not really a "problem".  Get rid
of the floating plants or submerge them for a while and they'll go away).
Dead fish... eye infections... lesions... algae trouble... all in one week,
and you'd swear everything was just fine last week!

Your tank's out of whack.  I don't know what caused it; perhaps the filter
shakeup, perhaps overstocking or a sick fish introduced to the tank; perhaps
just one dead fish or plant that caused the nitrate levels to start rising.
Perhaps a gazillion other things that I don't pretend to know anything at
all about.  My point, though, is that they all probably were caused by
upsetting the tank's overall balance of nutrients and utilization, and
you'll presumably be fine as soon as input=usage.

Personally, I'd ditch the fertilizing regimen altogether and start from
scratch.  I'd rather have deficiencies and some funny-looking leaves for a
little while, until I got the balance right again, than an oversupply of
nutrients and sick fish.

Alysoun McLaughlin
Wheaton, MD